Monday, December 31, 2012

Musical Monday - In My Mind by Amanda Palmer


I haven't been posting on the blog the past week. This wasn't really by design, but with all of the end of the year activity going on, I just haven't had much time to sit down and write. Not that I don't have anything to write about - I have a stack of seven books that I have finished that need reviewing - but I just didn't get around to it. They will just have to wait for next year to get reviewed.

New Year's Eve is always a time when people make new promises to be better than they have before. Most resolutions seem to take the form of self-improvement promises: I'll lose weight this year, I'll give up smoking, or I'll read more, or be nicer to people, or something of that nature. And most people have the best of intentions when they make those promises of self-improvement. But most people fail. And I think it is because that the sort of person who would do the things they promise isn't the sort of person that they are. And may not be the sort of person that they would want to be. And thus, I offer Amanda Palmer's song In My Mind, in which she imagines what she'll be like five years from now.

But that person is the person she says she thought she would be now, when she imagined herself five years ago. And if we are only living for the future, then we might miss who we are really supposed to be - who we are now. When you are making your New Year's resolutions tonight, I suggest thinking about if the person who would keep those resolutions is the sort of person you'd be happy being.

Previous Musical Monday: Present Face by Garfunkel & Oates

Other Holiday Songs     Musical Monday Playlists

Amanda Palmer     Musical Monday     Home

No comments:

Post a Comment