Friday, January 16, 2015

Follow Friday - Most of the Defendants in the "Trial of the 193" Were Acquitted


It's Friday again, and this means it's time for Follow Friday. There has been a slight change to the format, as now there are two Follow Friday hosts blogs and two Follow Friday Features Bloggers each week. To join the fun and make now book blogger friends, just follow these simple rules:
  1. Follow both of the Follow My Book Blog Friday Hosts (Parajunkee and Alison Can Read) and any one else you want to follow on the list.
  2. Follow the Featured Blogger of the week - Mom With a Reading Problem.
  3. Put your Blog name and URL in the Linky thing.
  4. Grab the button up there and place it in a post, this post is for people to find a place to say hi in your comments.
  5. Follow, follow, follow as many as you can, as many as you want, or just follow a few. The whole point is to make new friends and find new blogs. Also, don't just follow, comment and say hi. Another blogger might not know you are a new follower if you don't say "Hi".
  6. If someone comments and says they are following you, be a dear and follow back. Spread the love . . . and the followers.
  7. If you want to show the link list, just follow the link below the entries and copy and paste it within your post!
  8. If you're new to the Follow Friday Hop, comment and let me know, so I can stop by and check out your blog!
And now for the Follow Friday Question: Do you own any doubles of your books? What led to getting that second . . . or third or fourth . . . copy?

I don't have an exact count, but I have at least several hundred duplicates in my book collection. I have most of them separated and stored in a a couple dozen boxes stored our front closet. I generally have duplicate books for three reasons:
  • Some of my duplicate books I acquire intentionally, usually because I already have a paperback copy and I find a hardback copy. Or because I have a worn out, dog-eared, or otherwise beat up copy and I find a copy that is in good condition. These kinds of duplicates form a relatively small portion of my stock of duplicate books because I only keep them around long enough to catalog the new books and find a new home for the older copies to go to.
  • Some of my duplicate books are the result of merging my collection of books with the redhead's collection of books, to form our library of books. At some point, we'll get the books out of the boxes they currently reside in and figure out which copy to keep in our library and which to pass along.
  • I acquire some of my duplicate books by accident, because even though I keep a list of books that I own and books that I am looking for, I have over nine thousand unique books in my collection and it is sometimes hard to remember whether I actually own a particular book or not, and I end up buying it again. These sorts of books make up the bulk of my duplicate book collection, because right now, many of my books are boxed up due to the limitations of the space the redhead and I currently occupy. As a result, I am unable to compare the two (or more) copies of books that I have so I can decide which one to keep and which one to send to a new home with someone else. When I have more space and can actually have my books out of boxes, I'll probably spend a few weeks going through all the the duplicates and culling them.
A lot of my duplicate books have been purchased because I buy most of my books at library book sales, so I have a lot of used books (leading to my having many books that are in poor enough condition that it would make sense to consider replacing them), and acquire books in large batches of a hundred or two hundred or so at a time (increasing the likelihood that I will inadvertently buy duplicates). As a result, I have ended up with a collection of duplicate books that is larger than some people's collections of books.

Subsequent Follow Friday: 194 Prokne Is a Main Belt Asteroid

Follow Friday     Home

No comments:

Post a Comment