Saturday, April 9, 2016

Book Blogger Hop April 8th - April 14th: 149 Fish and Chips Has a Shop in Bridlington and Another in Barnard Castle

Book Blogger Hop

Jen at Crazy for Books restarted her weekly Book Blogger Hop to help book bloggers connect with one another, but then couldn't continue, so she handed the hosting responsibilities off to Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. The only requirements to participate in the Hop are to write and link a post answering the weekly question and then visit other blogs that are also participating to see if you like their blog and would like to follow them.

This week Billy asks: What other interests do you have besides reading and blogging?

In addition to reading and blogging, I spend quite a bit of time board gaming and playing tabletop role-playing games. I am part of a regular group that gets together to play games, usually alternating between a day playing various board games and a day role-playing. Because I'm willing to take on the work required for the role, I am usually stuck in the role of the game master. I don't really mind - I'm at my most comfortable in a role-playing game taking the part of the referee, but I do wish I could just be a player every now and then. The redhead and I own a reasonably large number of board games, and an almost ridiculously large array of role-playing game books.

I would also say that I am a book collector as much as I am a book reader. I collect so many books that "collecting" almost certainly qualifies as a separate interest than merely reading, in part because, although I intend to read every book I acquire, there is a chance that I simply won't be able to. I own just over ten thousand books, all of which have been sorted and cataloged, although the systems I use for these purposes would probably be nigh incomprehensible to anyone except me. I hope to read them all, but I'm going to have to live a long time to be able to reach that goal.

Subsequent Book Blogger Hop: Dunbar's Number Is Approximately 150

Book Blogger Hop     Home

10 comments:

  1. I enjoy playing board games too. It's been a long while since I last played a role-playing game. My husband introduced them to me when we first started dating. My husband likes to make his own games we sometimes try them out.

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Literary Feline: I like board games in part because they give me a chance to game without having to GM, and gives me a breather so I can catch up on the RPG prep I need to do between sessions.

      Delete
  2. Fun on board games.

    Wow on your ten thousand books and more amazing that you have them all cataloged.

    Thanks for sharing a bit about yourself.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Elizabeth: I use a combination of LibraryThing and an Excel spreadsheet to catalog my books. I built up my records over the course of about a decade, and I try to keep it up to date with regular maintenance. Just this morning I cataloged the couple of dozen books that I got this weekend.

      Delete
  3. My daughter does role playing and loves it. That is a lot of books..... how exciting!
    Sportochick’s Musings Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Teri Lloyd: Playing tabletop role-playing games is, in my opinion, the best social activity there is. And yes, it is a lot of books. I only have about seven hundred and seventy role-playing game books though.

      Delete
    2. Yikes....you need to post a picture of all these books.

      Delete
    3. @Teri Lloyd: I have some old pictures here, but those are out of date now. I'll probably get around to swapping those out once I have solved my current shelving problem (the problem being I don't have nearly enough shelf space for my books).

      Delete
    4. That is a great article. Thanks for sending me the link......

      Delete
    5. @Teri Lloyd: I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete